Toxic Foods for Pets

Here is a list of foods to keep out of your pets reach. It is vital to make sure you contact a vet if your pet consumes something they shouldn’t have!


The consumption of alcohol by your pet can cause vomiting, diarrhea, incoordination, central nervous system depression, and other symptoms that are extremely dangerous for your pet.



Apple Seeds, Apricot Pits, Cherry Pits, and Peach Pits

Make sure you dispose of all these pits and seeds properly as they contain cyanide. A poison that can cause irregular heartbeat, seizures, coma, and even death when consumed by your pet.




Avocados contain a poison called persin, a toxin that can cause vomiting and diarrhea. This toxin can also trigger fluid to gather in the lungs, loss of oxygen can be a direct symptom of this that can result in death.




Candy (Chocolate and Candies containing Xylitol)

Chocolate is poisonous to dogs mostly because of its theobromine content, which dogs are unable to metabolize effectively. Xylitol is a synthetic sweetener that causes an insulin release in most species which can lead to liver failure. Elevated liver enzymes and liver failure can be seen within a few days.



Onions, Garlic, Chives, and Leeks

Onions, garlic, chives, and leeks are in the Allium family, and are poisonous to both dogs and cats if the dose is right. Garlic is considered to be about five times as toxic as onions for cats and dogs. Consumption can lead to red blood cell damage and anemia.



Coffee and Tea (Caffeine)

One or two licks of coffee, tea or soda is unlikely to cause poisoning in most pets. However, ingestion of unused coffee grounds or beans, tea bags, or supplements could cause serious toxicity in dogs or cats.  Depending on the amount ingested, signs of hyperactivity, restlessness, vomiting, elevated heart rate, high blood pressure, abnormal heart rhythms, tremors, and elevated body temperature may be seen. In severe cases, seizures, collapse and death are possible.


Grapes and Raisins

While experts still don’t know exactly why grapes and raisins are toxic. They are known to cause kidney failure when ingested.




Chewing gum can be dangerous for your pet for a few reasons. Most sugar free gum contains Xylitol, an artificial sweetener that can lead to liver failure when ingested. Gum can also cause a blockage in the digestive system.





When dogs ingest hops the consequences can be disastrous, including malignant hyperthermia and death. Any dog with an exposure to brewing hops (fresh, pellet or spent) is at risk of developing malignant hyperthermia.



Macadamia Nuts

While the exact toxin is unknown, when pets consume macadamia nuts they can experience weakness, depression, vomiting, tremors, and hyperthermia.




Moldy Foods

Moldy food contains a variety of toxins that can poison your pet. Common signs that are seen are vomiting, wobbliness, tremors, agitation and hyperactivity, a high body temperature and panting. In severe cases there may be convulsions.



Mushroom Plants

Mushrooms are very diverse and contain a variety of toxins. Some symptoms that can arise after your pet ingests mushrooms include kidney & liver failure, vomiting, diarrhea, hallucination, and damage to red blood cells.






Mustard Seeds

Mustard seeds contain toxic compounds that can cause inflammation and irritation of the digestive system. When ingested, they can cause vomiting and diarrhea.




Potato Leaves and Stems

Green potato poisoning in dogs occurs when a dog consumes too much solanine, which is a glycoalkaloid naturally produced in green or raw potatoes, potato skins, and the foliage from the potato plant. Solanine poisoning can cause heart problems, difficulty breathing, and gastrointestinal upset.



Rhubarb Leaves 

While Rhubarb leaves are more on the mild side of toxicity, ingestion of the leaves can cause gastrointestinal upset and discomfort for your pet.




Salt and Salty Snacks

Pets consuming excess salt or sodium rich processed foods can cause excessive thirst & urination, can also lead to more serious symptoms such as vomiting, diarrhea, tremors, seizures, sodium ion poisoning, elevated temperature, and symptoms can become fatal if left untreated.



Tomato Leaves and Stems (Green parts of the plant)

If pets eat a tomato plant’s greenery then they might suffer from nausea, vomiting, anorexia, and lethargy. This is due to the plant containing solanine, a substance that is toxic to both cats and dogs.




  Walnuts are not the most dangerous food for your pet, however they do have potential to cause issues. Walnuts can be a choking hazard for both cats and dogs. Also, when larger amounts are ingested, that can cause a life threatening condition called pancreatitis.



Yeast Dough (Raw)

A packet of yeast granules contains billions of single-celled organisms that quickly multiply, ferment, and grow in a dog’s stomach. The biochemical and physiological reactions that can result from yeast dough poisoning are a serious health risk for canines. Gas builds up in the stomach causing bloat and other GI symptoms such as vomiting, diarrhea, or avoidance of food. The fermentation of carbs in the dogs system can also lead to alcohol poisoning. Treatment for yeast poisoning should happen as soon as possible                                                                      after ingestion.


Some other foods to avoid:

  • Milk & Dairy
  • Chicken/Turkey skin and other fatty cuts of meat
  • Nutmeg and Cinnamon