Toxic Houseplants and Flowers for Pets

Flowers and houseplants are a great way to keep your house feeling fresh and decorated, however not all plants are safe for our pets. Here’s a list of plants that are best to keep out of the house or out of reach for your pets. If your pet ever ingests a toxic or potentially toxic substance be sure to contact your veterinarian as soon as you are able to.


While there are a lot of flowers given the generic Lily name, not all are fatally toxic. The varieties to look out for are True Lilies, which include the Tiger, Stargazer, Easter, and Oriental varieties, and Day Lilies as they are highly toxic to cats. Every part of the plant is toxic for ingestion, including the pollen and even the water contained in the vase. While it is not fully understood, it is believed that when cats digest lilies their bodies create a toxic metabolite which we know to result in severe kidney injury and kidney failure. If not treated within just a few hours, ingestion can become fatal within a few days. If you are a cat owner, we recommend keeping all varieties of lilies out of the house for safe measure


This plant contains high levels of calcium oxalate crystals. When ingested it can cause excessive drooling, burns to the mouth, and vomiting. Other plants with high levels of calcium oxalate include snake plant & pothos. When it comes to these type of plants, simply keeping them out of reach should keep your pets safe. 


Also known as Nerium, this is a plant that is commonly found outdoors in gardens or along streets but some gardeners can bring these plants indoors for the winter. These plants contain cardiac glycosides. This ingestion of this chemical compound causes drooling, diarrhea, abdominal pain, abnormal heart rhythm, and neurological issues as well.

Aloe Vera

A well known and popular plant for most gardens as well as treatment for burns and cuts, but it’s not so healing for our pets. Chewing on this plants for both cats and dogs can cause vomiting, diarrhea, and lethargy. The inner gel is not considered toxic but it should still be avoided by our furry friends.








This flower contains several toxic components that can cause illness when ingested. Symptoms can include vomiting and incoordination. Luckily, symptoms can remain mild if your pet only ingests a small amount of the plant. Keeping these flowers out of reach is the best way to protect your pets.







These flowers are found both indoors and outdoors, and have toxins concentrated in the roots and bulbs. Chewing on the bulbs can cause symptoms like severe vomiting, diarrhea, excessive drooling, and burns to the mouth. Tulips are also in the same plant family and can cause similar symptoms when the bulbs are ingested.

Jade Plant

This succulent can also be referred to as the money plant or the lucky plant. However it doesn’t bring much luck to our pets. Chewing or ingestion of these plants can lead to vomiting, depression, and loss of balance. This plant is best kept out of the house.

Sago Palm


Sago palms are held both as houseplants and outdoor plants. These trees are highly toxic to our pets. Sago palms contain a toxin called cycasin this is a neurotoxin and carcinogen. Cycasin can cause severe liver failure just a few days after ingestion if not treated immediately. These palms are best to keep out of the house and out of the yard as a pet owner.


Daffodils are toxic to pets, this is an identifying image

This flower is highly toxic to our pets. Ingestion of any part of the plant can trigger symptoms such as severe vomiting, diarrhea, abdominal pain, convulsions, and abnormal heart rhythm. All these symptoms can result in more serious issues so avoiding having these flowers in your home is the safest course of action.

Asparagus Fern

Also know as foxtail fern or emerald fern. Brushing up against this plant can cause your pet skin irritation and discomfort. Ingestion of the berries can cause vomiting, abdominal pain, and diarrhea. This plant is best suited for outdoor conditions where pets do not have access to it.


Alocasia is a highly toxic plant that holds its toxins in the leaves, stems, and roots. It contains calcium oxalate, a common toxin in houseplants. Ingestion of any part of the plant causes mucous membrane irritation, intense burning and irritation of the mouth, lips, and tongue, excessive drooling, vomiting, and difficulty swallowing.

Arrowhead Plant

Another common houseplant that contains calcium oxalate crystals. The entirety of the arrowhead plant is toxic to pets. Symptoms after ingestion can include vomiting, diarrhea, lack of apatite, chills, and change of color in urine. These symptoms can progress to more serious issues, so immediate treatment is the best course of action.

Bird of Paradise


Bird of Paradise is a common plant typically found outdoors, but is used as a houseplant as well. This plant contains Hydrogen Cyanide, a highly toxic acid that can cause a multitude of health issues for your pet. All parts of this plant are toxic. Ingestion can cause nausea, vomiting, drowsiness, difficulty breathing, and loss of apatite. If left untreated ingestion can be fatal.

Desert Rose

This plant is highly toxic and it contains cardiac glycosides. Ingestion of any part of this plant including the sap can cause serious symptoms including vomiting, diarrhea, loss of apatite, depression, and irregular heart beat. Left untreated, ingestion can quickly become fatal.


Kalanchoe also known as Kalanco, contains a naturally occurring poison that has negative effects on the heart. All parts of the plant are toxic to pets, and ingestion can cause serious symptoms including vomiting, diarrhea, and abnormal heart rhythm. Left untreated, ingestion can become a serious health issues.



Another common plant used for medicinal reasons, however it will not have a positive effect on your pet. Eucalyptus oil can cause lethargy and irritate your dog. Other symptoms include excessive salivation, vomiting, diarrhea, depression, and weakness.




While ingestion is not typically fatal, symptoms can include nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, and hives. However, these symptoms can develop into much more serious issues. It is always a good idea to contact a vet after ingestion of any toxic or unusual substances.


Commonly called yesterday-today-tomorrow, this beautiful plant is tasty and troublesome for dogs. For some reason, dogs enjoy eating this plant however, ingestion can cause problematic and serious symptoms for your dog. Ingestion of any part of this plant can cause irritation of the mouth and stomach, muscle cramps, muscle rigidity, seizures, paralysis, and can be fatal if not treated immediately. Remove this plant and any remnants from your yard to protect your dog!